Winter is the perfect time for penguin fun; there’s something about them that kids just love! This cute penguin stick puppet is all dressed ready for the cold, so you can practise some winter clothes words with your kids. It’s quick and easy to for little ones to make and uses materials that you’ve probably already got lying around.
- Black card
- Pieces of orange and white card or paper
- Wooden kebab stick (cut off the point)
- Googly eyes
- Crayons, pens or pencils
- Scissors, glue and sticky tape
How to make the Penguin Stick Puppet:
1. Print the template of the penguin parts. Trace the body and two wings onto black card, the feet and beak onto orange card or paper, and the hat, scarf and belly onto white card or paper. I’ve also included templates for groups that you can print directly onto card or paper.
2. Colour and decorate the hat and scarf in bright colours.
3. Cut out all the pieces. Stick the belly onto the body as shown.
4. Turn the penguin over and stick the wings about halfway down the body. You can position them up, down, or one up and one down. My kids had a lot of fun choosing different positions for their penguin’s wings!
5. Turn the penguin face up and stick on the feet, beak and eyes. Make sure to leave some space at the top of the head to stick the hat.
6. Stick the scarf and the hat as shown.
7. Turn over the penguin and fix the kebab stick to the back with sticky tape.
8. Have fun playing with your penguin!
Advice for small group classes:
This is a straightforward craft which takes under 30 minutes to make.
- Use the penguins as props for kids to play and practice simple conversations. Encourage children to make their penguins introduce themselves to each other, talk about their hats and scarves, or about the weather!
If you have a problem with your download, please read our FAQ. If the problem continues, contact us at [email protected] so we can fix it!
More WINTER related resources:
From our store:
SUBSCRIBE to our free newsletter for discounts and updates on new resources!
This is a free printable, but please read our FAQ for full info about how you can use our materials.
Leave a Reply