This pretty paper Christmas tree craft is really easy to make, even for very little ones. It’s also good for practising size words and size order, colours and shapes with preschoolers! You can make them all green, or make the top triangle white for a lovely snow-capped Christmas tree!
I’ve provided a printable template for download at the end of the post, including template pages for groups that you can just print straight onto card ready for kids to cut. Most of my three year olds were able to cut the triangles on their own, but I did have to help one or two.
We have other fun CHRISTMAS related crafts and resources that you might also like to try. See the end of the post for more!
- Green card
- Glittery card or foam star
- Large craft stick
- Pipe cleaners
- Single hole punch
- Stickers, scraps of tissue paper and/or sticky gems
How to make the Christmas Tree Craft:
1. Download and print the template (see download box at end of post). Cut out the three triangles.
2. Stick the triangles one on top of another in order of size. Punch four holes in the tree as shown.
3. Cut a pipe cleaner in half and thread each piece through the holes as shown. Turn the tree over and bend the ends of the pipe cleaners to secure in place.
4. Decorate the tree with stickers, balls of tissue paper and/or sticky gems. Add a star at the top.
5. Turn the tree over and fix the craft stick in place with sticky tape.
6. The Christmas tree is finished! Put an adhesive magnet on the back to make a festive fridge magnet, or sit it in a little flower pot as a table decoration!
Advice for small group classes:
This is a simple craft that takes about 20-30 mins to complete, depending on age and group size. Some three year olds may need help cutting the triangles, but for the most part they should be able to do it on their own.
- Use the craft as an opportunity to practise size ordering with your pre-schoolers. Ask them to identify the big triangle, the medium triangle and the small triangle. Show them the tree you have already made and ask them to stack the triangles in the correct order.
- Model how children should thread the pipe cleaners through the holes.
More CHRISTMAS crafts:
From our store:
SUBSCRIBE to our free newsletter for discounts and updates on new resources!
This is a free printable, but please read our FAQ for full info about how you can use our materials.