I love anything that gets kids into books and reading, so today I’ve got this cat bookmark craft for you to try with your little learners. It’s really simple and quick to make, and looks really cute peeking out from between the pages of a book! It doesn’t require many materials and you can make it with scraps of card you’ve probably got lying around.
I’ve also included a template for you to download, which saves a bit of measuring out and trial and error with the paw sizes. The file has an individual template as well as paper-saving templates for if you have groups.
- White or coloured card for the body and tummy
- Small scraps of coloured card or paper
- Black pen
- Optional: Googly eyes
- Optional: Hole punch
How to make the cat bookmark:
1. Choose the colours you want for your cat. I used brown for the body and paws, and cream for the tummy. Download, print and cut out the template pieces (see link at end of post). Trace the pieces onto your chosen card and cut out.
If you prefer not to use the template you will need to measure a rectangle approx. 5cm x 18 cm for the body and 4cm x 13.5 cm for the tummy. Draw and cut out the ears as shown. Draw the paws as shown (make sure they are 5cm wide) and cut the pieces out.
2. Stick the tummy onto the body, leaving only a small gap at the bottom.
3. For the paws, place glue where indicated. It’s important to only put glue on the upper part of the top paws. This is to make the “flap” for slotting the bookmark over the pages.
4. Stick on the top and bottom paws as shown. Line the top paws up with the top of the cat’s tummy.
5. Cut a thin strip of coloured card or paper 5 cm long to make the collar. Punch a hole in some yellow card or paper and use the punched circle to make the bell.
6. Cut a small triangle of pink paper for the nose. Stick or draw on some eyes and add the mouth, whiskers and claws with black pen.
7. Your child can write his or her name on the cat’s tummy to personalize it!
You could also try a Halloween version. I used black and purple for the cat and some glitter card I had for the collar!
You may also like:
SUBSCRIBE to our free newsletter for discounts and updates on new resources!
This is a free printable, but please read our FAQ for full info about how you can use our materials.