This cute little bunny basket is a fun Easter craft for kids to make and perfect for storing mini eggs in! If you’re having an Easter party you could even make up a whole troop and give them as party favours.
The main part of the basket is made out of a toilet roll tube cut in half. You can either paint it, or use some wrapping paper to cover it if you want a no-mess version. Your kids could even just decorate it with felt pens and stickers instead.
I’ve included a FREE TEMPLATE for the bunny that you can download (see the download box at the end of the post).
This craft is ideal to do with for 6 – 8 year olds. It may be a bit tricky for 3-5 year olds to cut out the rabbit by themselves, so be prepared to help if you’re doing the craft with preschoolers.
You can, of course, just make the baskets without the bunny – they look really pretty on their own, especially with an added trim or sticky gems!
We have a lot of other SPRING AND EASTER related crafts and printables you might also like to try. See the end of the post for more!
- White or coloured cardstock
- Green paper
- Toilet paper roll
- Wrapping paper or paint
- Tissue paper
- White cotton ball or pom pom
- Scissors & craft knife
- Glue and/or double-sided sticky tape
- Black pen
- Sticky tape or masking tape
- Optional: glitter card, stickers, sticky gems
How to make the Bunny Basket – Easter craft for kids:
1. Cut a toilet paper roll in half.
2. Paint or decorate the roll as you wish.
3. If you want to cover it with paper, cut a piece approximately 4.5cm x 17cm and glue it around the roll.
3. Stick strips of sticky tape or masking tape over the bottom to seal it.
4. Cut a strip of green paper approx. 3cm x 12cm. Fold it in half, then in half again, then in half again! Draw a zigzag onto the paper and cut along the lines. Unfold the paper – and voila! You have a strip of grass!
5. Stick the grass around the bottom of the basket and fan out the fronds a little bit.
6. Cut a strip of coloured card approx. 1cm x 12cm and staple each end to the basket to make the handle.
7. The basket is finished – now it’s time to make the bunny! Print or trace the bunny template onto some card. Cut it out and draw on a face. Colour in the ears or cut out and glue on pieces of pink card or wrapping paper.
8. Turn the bunny over and add some lines to the paws.
9. Put glue or double-sided sticky tape where indicated in the photo. I recommend using double-sided sticky tape if possible as it’s quicker and easier.
10. Line up the bottom of the bunny with the bottom of the basket and stick them together. If you use glue, you may need to add some pieces of sticky tape or masking tape to hold the bunny in place while it dries.
11. Cut a square of tissue paper approx. 14cm x 14cm and put it into the basket. Push it down so that it sticks to the tape at the bottom.
12. Fold the ends of the arms around the basket handle so the bunny is holding it.
13. Give the bunny a tail by sticking on a pompom or cotton ball. If you use a cotton ball I recommend cutting it in half – it will stay in place better.
You can also stick a little decorative bow on the bunny’s head if you want. I made mine from a scrap of glitter card.
14. That’s it! Now you can make the Easter bunny hop around and collect some mini eggs in its basket!
Advice for small group classes:
This is a craft that’s more suitable for 6-8 year olds, so be aware that if you want to do it with pre-schoolers you’ll need to give them quite a lot of help. It takes about 30 -40 mins to complete, depending on age. If you plan for your kids to paint the basket, you will need to add on 10 minutes for painting time, plus drying time.
- Pre-cut the toilet paper rolls before class. If you plan for kids to cover the basket with wrapping paper, you might like to pre-cut the pieces beforehand too.
- Three to five year olds will need help cutting the bunny and the grass
More SPRING-EASTER resources:
From our store:
SUBSCRIBE to our free newsletter for updates on all our new resources!
This is a free printable, but please read our FAQ for full info about how you can use our materials.