Here’s a cute black cat craft that kids will love to make for Halloween! It’s really easy for little ones to put together themselves and looks very sweet sitting on a windowsill or shelf. I made this craft for Halloween but you could do it at any time of year, of course, and make the cats any colour you want!
If you’re teaching English as a Second Language, it’s also a good activity to practise parts of the body vocabulary. I make sure to have my kids ask me for each body part before I hand them out!
I’ve provided a FREE printable template for download at the end of the post. If you’re making a black cat you’ll need to print it, cut out the pieces and trace them onto black card using white pencil or crayon. If you’re making a cat in another colour you can just print the template directly onto coloured cardstock.
We have other fun Halloween and cat related crafts and resources that you might also like to try. See the end of the post for more!
- Black card for the body
- Scraps of patterned wrapping paper for the ears and nose
- Scraps of glittery or coloured card (or pipe cleaners) to make the whiskers
- White pencil or crayon
- Optional: Googly eyes
How to make the Black Cat Craft:
1. Print the template and cut out the pieces. Trace onto black card using a white pencil or crayon.
2. Cut out all the pieces.
3. Fold the body in half, then fold up the ends of the legs about 1.5 – 2 cm to make the paws. For the cat to sit better (and not flop down on its belly!) make sure the back paws are pointing forwards, not backwards.
4. Cut 2 triangles from patterned paper for the ears, and a smaller triangle for the nose. Stick on to the head.
5. For the eyes, you can stick on googly eyes or cut circles or almond shapes from yellow or green paper and make coloured cats eyes. You could also use round coloured stickers to save cutting.
6. Cut 4 – 6 thin strips of glitter card or coloured card about 6cm long to make the whiskers. You could also use pipe cleaners. Stick them onto the face. Add the mouth with white pencil or crayon
7. Stick the head onto the body as shown. Draw on claws with white pencil or crayon.
8. Fold the base of the tail 2-3 cm. Add glue to the folded end and stick the tail to the back of the cat as shown.
9. Your cute black cat is finished! Now just choose a spot for it to sit and watch the world go by!
Advice for small group classes:
This is a simple craft that takes about 20 – 30 mins to complete, depending on age and group size. 3 – 4 year olds will probably need help with the folding, but 5 – 6 year olds should be able to do this craft with little or no help.
- Pre-cut the ear triangles, noses and whiskers beforehand
- Use to revise vocabulary for parts of the body
More HALLOWEEN and CAT related resources:
SUBSCRIBE to our free newsletter for discounts and updates on new resources!
This is a free printable, but please read our FAQ for full info about how you can use our materials.